Vicodin is a medicine prescribed for patients with severe pain reactions. It is also used to treat coughs. It is important to remember that this drug should be used under the supervision of a specialist, as it quickly becomes addictive. More detailed information about the tool is indicated in the instructions.
Drug release form
The medication Vicodin is available in the form of oblong white tablets. The dosage and size of the product may vary. Vicodin for sale also sold in capsule and syrup form, and you can also order Vicodin online.
The drug contains hydrocodone and paracetamol. Hydrocodone is a highly addictive opioid. Its action is enhanced by another less intense pain reliever, acetaminophen. In addition, the active ingredients that makeup such a drug are prescribed for those who have injuries.
Mechanism of action
Separately, it should be said about the action that the drug Vicodin has. So, when active substances enter the body, the following reactions occur:
- The main action of hydrocodone is directed at the opioid receptor system. When the patient takes a pill, this substance is absorbed into the gastrointestinal tract. The effect of its use occurs within 30 minutes after application.
- Acetaminophen is a cyclooxygenase inhibitor that produces prostaglandins that are responsible for the sensation of pain. As a result of slowing down the activity of enzymes, pain is reduced. An hour after application, the maximum concentration of the substance is reached.
- And also it should be remembered that the additional component of paracetamol, which is part of this medication, gets into the body and decomposes after 3 hours. The metabolites of this substance are non-toxic.
Approximately 85% of such a tablet is excreted orally (via the kidneys). As a result of a drug overdose, highly active compounds accumulate in the body, which leads to damage to liver cells and their gradual death.
Instructions for use
Since the use of this drug causes dependence, the dosage recommended by the doctor must not be exceeded. And also you must adhere to the following rules:
- The drug should be taken with water.
- When this medicine has caused indigestion, it should be taken with a little milk.
- To check the correct dosage, the solution can be measured with a measuring spoon.
- In the case of a sharp cessation of the use of the drug, withdrawal symptoms occur. So it is recommended to reduce the dose gradually.
- Constipation may occur as a result of using such a drug. In this case, you need to drink more water and include fibre in the diet.
- If the patient forgot to take the medicine, it is necessary to take it as soon as the patient remembered about it. In this case, you can not use a double dose, but it is better to wait for the next medication intake.
Such a drug is contraindicated for those who are allergic to active ingredients. It is worth refusing to use it for patients who have recently undergone treatment with tranquillizers or sedatives. Such a remedy is not recommended if the patient has been using MAO inhibitors over the past month. These inhibitors include Selegiline and Linezolid.
You should also inform your doctor if the patient is taking migraine medications or antidepressants. It should be remembered that such a drug is prohibited for use in the following cases:
- With kidney disease.
- If the patient is dehydrated.
- In case of low blood pressure in a patient.
- It is recommended to use this remedy with caution for those who have recently suffered a stroke.
- It is worth refusing to use such medication if there is a history of asthma or breathing disorders.
- Such a drug is prohibited for use by pregnant women, as the child may become addicted to such medication. A newborn who is used to this remedy will need treatment for a month.