Are you looking for ways to troubleshoot an error on your device? While working on your system you receive an error message of 15106? So, don’t worry we are here to help you to resolve QuickBooks Update error 15106. We provide you with some important information about this error. Read the article till the end to know about this and follow all the steps correctly to fix this error 15106.
QuickBooks Update Error 15106 is the most common error of the 15XXX series. It affects QuickBooks. This QuickBooks Update Error 15106 mainly affects the update functions and whenever users try to update QuickBooks or payroll. When this error occurs on your system, you may receive an error message like “Error 15106: The update program is damaged”, or “Error 15106: the update program can not be opened”. There is also an update error that you may face while updating which is known as QuickBooks Error PS077. When this error appears, you receive an error message like “Error PS077: a user has not registered QuickBooks software or the company file is damaged or corrupted”.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 15106
There are some reasons which cause the error when updating payroll or the installation of QuickBooks Updates. This error will arise when the QuickBooks installer files get damaged or don’t have permission to perform the update on Windows. Below are the lists of the causes of QuickBooks Update Error 15106:-
- When the third-party anti-malware or the antivirus program is responsible for not updating the QuickBooks.
- The UAC (User Account Control) setting is set to high, which interferes with the QuickBooks Update and UAC enabled can be the cause.
- If the user account does not have the proper Windows administrative right then the QuickBooks Update Error 15106 will appear on your system.
- When the QuickBooks installation is unable to install the additional components which are required to update the application and payroll.
- When the user installed the WebRoot antivirus application on their system, it will find the QuickBooks installer as a thread and will block its operations from Windows.
Read More: Unblock the sites on Chrome
Method to Resolve QuickBooks Error 15106
Before you proceed with the methods to fix this error, make sure that you have to download the latest tax table if you have an active QuickBooks desktop payroll subscription and ensure that the payroll information will not be affected.
Method 1- Login as Administrator Credentials
1- if you already logged in as a different user:
- Firstly, go to the QuickBooks Desktop icon and right-click on it.
- Now, select Run as Administrator.
- Then enter the admin credentials and click on OK.
- Lastly, this step will log in as an administrator.
2- By switching the account, log in to the admin account.
- Go to the Start button.
- Now, you have to click on the switch user and then enter the admin credentials.
- Then, this will switch the user account to the admin account.
Method 2- UAC Turnoff
This step is for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7 users:-
- Press or hold the Window+R tab to open the Window Run tab.
- Then, enter the control panel on it and click on OK.
- Now, choose the user account.
- After that, choose the Change User Account settings.
Note: If you receive any prompt, you have to accept it to continue the process.
- Now, you will see a slider and you have to move it. If you want to turn off UAC then click on Never Notify and if you want to turn on UAC then click on Always Notify.
- At last, restart your system.
Method 3- Uninstall Antivirus and Folder Rename
- Initially, open the task manager by pressing and holding the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys together.
- Then, you have to go to the Processes tab and then search for antivirus.
- At last, choose the End process.
While performing this step, if you receive any issue then you have to uninstall the antivirus.
Rename the Update Folder
- Open the file explorer by pressing and holding the Windows+E key together.
- Then, go to the C:\Program files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Compponents (for 32 but users). And for the 64-bit user, go to the C:\Program file (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components will be selected.
- Now, right-click on the download box folder > select the rename tab. The XX stands for the QuickBooks version year.
- At last, you have to add.OLD extension at the end of all the folders.
Also Read: Secure your Windows Reseller
In this article, we discuss the QuickBooks Update Error 15106- causes and resolutions. I hope this post will be helpful for you to resolve this error and understand the reason behind this error. If you have any issues then you can visit our other articles also to fix them.